Online app

Sensor Tower: 25% of Switch owners downloaded the app online


Join the leaders of online gaming at GamesBeat Summit Next on November 9-10. Learn more about what comes next.


Five million iOS and Android users have downloaded the Nintendo Switch Online companion app, according to mobile research company Sensor Tower. This represents about 25 percent of the console install base.

The app launched in July, but Switch’s paid online service just kicked off on September 18. The $ 20 membership gives players access to online multiplayer, the cloud economy, and a digital collection of classic games from the Nintendo Entertainment System. But you can’t group up with friends or chat with them through the Switch. You need the associated mobile app to do this (or you can use other services, like Skype or Discord). Nintendo is the only console maker that requires its owners to use an external app for such online activities.

The service launch week increased app installs by 76% compared to the previous week. Most downloads are from the United States and Japan. About 60% download to Android devices, while the remaining 40% use iOS.

App downloads do not correspond directly to paid subscriptions for the Switch Online service. You can download the app for free whether or not you pay for Switch Online.

GamesBeat

GamesBeat’s credo when covering the gaming industry is “where passion meets business”. What does it mean? We want to tell you how much news matters to you, not only as a decision maker in a game studio, but also as a game fan. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn more about the industry and enjoy participating in it.

How will you do this? Membership includes access to:

  • Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
  • The wonderful, educational and fun speakers at our events
  • Networking opportunities
  • Special member-only interviews, discussions and open office events with GamesBeat staff
  • Chat with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests on our Discord
  • And maybe even a fun prize or two
  • Presentations to like-minded parties

Become a member


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.