The Nintendo Switch, for all its merits, has always had a somewhat stuffy relationship with online gaming. Between missing Ethernet ports, tedious voice chat, and choppy connections, the Switch makes online gamers jump through a few more hoops than a PS5, Xbox Series X, or gaming PC. However, adding friends is now much easier than before, thanks to a handy update to the iOS and Android Nintendo Switch Online app.
In the past, adding players to your friends list on the Switch was a messy process. You’ll have to search for a 12-digit “friend code”, pass it on to another player, and hope that you both wrote it down accurately every step of the way. Now, however, the Switch smartphone app lets you share your friend code via URL or QR code. It’s incredibly easy to do and much faster than trying to unravel a 12 digit code.
To learn how to send a friend request to the Nintendo Switch Online app, just follow the instructions below.
How to send a friend request to the Nintendo Switch Online app
1. This one probably goes without saying, but just to make sure we’re all on the same page, launch the Nintendo Switch Online app. It is available for both iOS (opens in a new tab) and android (opens in a new tab) devices, and you’ll need to sign in with your Nintendo ID before proceeding.
2. Open your profile settings. To do this, find the settings menu in the upper right corner. Just click on the circular portrait of your avatar.
3. look for it vertical ellipses icon at the top of the screen. It’s just below your avatar portrait and to the right of your friend code. Tap the icon to open a small submenu.
4. When you press the vertical ellipses, you have two options: Copy as URL or save as QR code. Both options are self-explanatory. If you copy the URL, you can then send it to a recipient via email, SMS, chat app, or any other way you choose. The QR Code, on the other hand, requires an extra step.
5. This step is therefore optional, but if you go down the Itinerary by QR code, you will need to take an extra step to find it. The Nintendo Switch Online app saves QR codes to your picture library. The location depends on your phone and file configuration. However, the Photos app on iOS or Android is a good place to start.
Once you have found the image, you can send it to friends, download it from the internetor even just let other people scan your phone screen.
That’s really all there is to it. Open the Nintendo Switch Online app; go to your profile; press the vertical ellipses; copy the URL or save the QR code.
Playing Switch games online can still be a pain later on, but at least you’ll have a healthy friend list to cheer you up.
Looking for other Switch related tutorials? Here’s how to check your playtime on Nintendo Switch, how to reset a Nintendo Switch, and how to appear offline on Nintendo Switch. And don’t forget to also browse our list of the best Nintendo Switch games.
Next: Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is finally here – and it’s the perfect reason to dust off your Switch.