Posted: Posted Date – 12:31 a.m., Tue – Jun 21, 22
Digital technology is advancing rapidly with teenagers using gadgets to play online games and also becoming addicted to it. A gradual increase in online gaming addiction can alter thought and behavior patterns that lead to a shift in focus towards gaming rather than studying.
Games such as Momo Challenge, Player Unknown Battleground (PUBG), Blue Whale Challenge and many more have already impacted many precious lives. Despite the popularity of online games in India, there have been no formal studies on the negative psychosocial impact.
The American Psychiatric Association notes that symptoms such as preoccupation with gambling, withdrawal symptoms when gambling is interrupted or impossible (sadness, anxiety, irritability, suicide and substance abuse), inability to reduce gambling, attempts Failure to stop gambling, abandonment of other activities, loss of interest in previously enjoyed activities, etc., indicate potential gambling addiction.
Your addiction, their monetization
Fraudsters monetize activities such as the buying and selling of virtual currencies and artifacts such as skins, weapons and armor, creating an opportunity to offer fraud schemes such as money laundering and payment fraud, which mainly occur in free online multiplayer games.
Several monetization options, especially in free online multiplayer games, include (a) in-app advertisements (b) in-game products (c) incentivized advertisements (c) purchase/payment by download (d) bonuses and upgrades (e) in-app purchases (f) free subscription.
Modus Operandi of Color Prediction Gambling Fraud
Cyber crooks lure people with higher returns on betting amounts. Using a color prediction app, a type of mobile gambling app where one can place bets to predict the correct color or combination of colors, they target people who succumb to the promise of ‘easy money. The stages of these games are as follows:
*Step 1: First of all, they post attractive ads for color prediction games links on various social media platforms, sites and apps. People interested in placing bets online are asked to register and provide their Aadhaar card and PAN card details, with apps offering rewards for signing up more people.
* Step 2: A color prediction app allows players to earn money by predicting the correct color. However, these game apps are often used by scammers to lure innocent victims and no details are available on Google Play Store or Apple App Store. Fraudsters send links to gamers to download fraudulent gaming apps by sending .APK and .DMZ files.
* Step 3: Once the registration is complete, the scammers open a bank account in the player’s name and link an e-wallet to the account. They then allow the player to start betting.
* Step 4: In color prediction apps, victims first bet with a minimum amount on a particular color and win double the amount. This encourages them to invest more. The wallet also shows the winnings, but when they try to withdraw money, they can’t. Fraudsters also ask victims to pay an advance in the name of income tax and GST, among other things, under the guise of withdrawing money.
Parental control for online games
* Pay attention to these disclaimers: EC = Early Childhood, E = Everyone, T = Teenager, M = Mature, AO = Adults.
* See photos: (i) Parental supervision (ii) Violence (iii) Bad language (iv) 18 years old.
* Set Time Limits: Use Family Cell Phone Agreements and Internet Screen Time Agreement.
* Keep phones and other gadgets out of bedrooms; children should not play at night.
* Teach children to keep their personal information private when playing online games.
* Teach them to take regular breaks; it helps to manage stress, anger and anxiety.
* Be critical of spending on in-app purchases. Parents can keep cards with low credit value. Kids can also borrow money from friends if they’re not up to it, so it’s best not to support such app purchases.
* On Xbox One or Xbox Series S/X, go to System >; Parameters > ; Account >; Family, to manage the permissions of child family members.
* On PlayStation 4/5, go to Settings >; Parental Controls >; Family Management, to enable security features, such as time and expense limits, content restrictions, and web filtering.
* In Nintendo Switch, go to System Settings > ; Parental control. Even without the app, you can block games by age group, limit communication, and disable virtual reality.